MANAGING CONFLICT: HOW TO DEAL BIBLICALLY WITH PERSONAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONFLICT
For individuals and small groups:
Most conflicts in life arise unannounced. That’s why we often fail in what and how we say it, in what we do or don’t do.
This may surprise you but most of the passages in the Bible related to resolving conflict are addressed to you and not to the other party involved in the conflict. In fact, the way you go about resolving conflict is a straightforward reflection of your spiritual maturity!
Learning the biblical principles of managing conflict is a must for every Christian who is committed not only to God, his work, and the body of Christ but also to being a witness in a world that is torn by conflict on every single level of life. Increasing your understanding of conflict and your own role in it will help you grow in spiritual maturity and Christ-likeness!
For churches, church boards and leadership teams:
When it comes to conflict, the size of your church, the credentials of your ministers, the extent of your ministries and missions, simply DO NOT matter! Conflict arises everywhere where there is more than one person!
An overwhelming number of churches “deal” with conflict by avoiding it! Others simply forward it to a committee supposed to deal with it. Still others, much like in the court system, deal with it on one level and then send it up and up the system. Does that work? In most cases NO!
Learning the basic biblical principles of personal and corporate conflict management that will help you engage in conflict in adequate ways and come out of it more united in community and more effective in ministry!
- Develop a biblical framework for managing conflict
- Tackle common misconceptions about conflict
- Explore the dynamics and underlying forces of conflict, main blocks to conflict resolution
- Identify personal tendencies and styles of dealing with conflict situations as well as develop an understanding of the conflict management styles of others in order to improve communication and increase effectiveness in conflict resolution
- Learn fundamental principles for and steps to successful personal and organizational conflict management and peace-making
- Study key biblical passages on conflict management
- Most common conflicts in life (and ministry) and their underlying causes
- The main blocks to meaningful and successful conflict management
- Conflict as process
- The role of communication in solving conflicts
- The relationship at stake
- The basic principles of conflict resolution
- Escalation in conflict
- What are your personal beliefs about conflict and standard strategies for solving conflict?
- Leaders in the midst of conflict
- The role of effective listening in successful conflict resolution
This training is suitable for anyone. Individuals and small groups will benefit as much as a whole church, a church board and any leadership team.
This training could be presented in different formats: from an individual, a small Bible study group and a church-wide presentation to a strategic training for various ministry and leadership teams (on average between 3-5 hours). Each format presents different levels of opportunities for more extended discussion.
In the best case this training is broken into two to three sessions on a single day (e.g. one whole Saturday morning or afternoon, a Sunday late afternoon/evening, etc.) or in two sessions on two different days. This allows participants to learn better and to have opportunities to interact and get involved in discussions as well as reflect on and raise general or personal questions on the dynamics of forgiveness.